Monday 18 August 2014

Back to School Teacher Essentials

Well, it's almost that time . . . back to school. I know a lot of schools are already in session, but my district has two more glorious weeks.



As I've been thinking about the new school year, I've realized that there are some old staples that I constantly reach for when shopping. Here's a small list of some of my back to school essentials.

1. Mr. Sketch Markers

via Amazon

If you've taught preschool, primary, intermediate, or high school, chances are, you've come across Mr. Sketch markers. For making anchor charts, bulletin board headers or art project samples, in my opinion, Mr. Sketch can't be beat. And let's be honest, doesn't a whiff of these markers take you back to your own kindergarten days?

2. A calendar/planner  

via Amazon

For organization at a glance, nothing beats a great desk calendar. There are so many impromptu meetings and events that pop up during the year, I also find it handy to carry around a small planner.

via Amazon

via Amazon

I love the quality and style of Moleskine, but for something cheaper, Peter Pauper Press always has cute designs and styles.

3. Hand sanitizer

via Bath & Body Works

I don't know about you, but I always seem to get a nasty cough in October. To try and combat this, I always carry tons of hand sanitizer. If you're like me and dislike the typical sanitizer smell, try out  Bath & Body Works. They have very affordable PocketBacs that come in a variety of smells.

4. Kleenex

via Amazon
This may seem like a no brainer, but last year was a really awful cold and flu season and I saw a ton of classrooms RUN OUT of Kleenex. Do you know how awful that is when you have a class full of coughing, sneezing kindergarteners? I'm not sure how the Kleenex supply works in your classroom, but make sure you don't run out!

5. Teaching Clothes

via J. Crew Factory

I don't know about you, but I have very specific *work* clothes and *home* clothes - I don't like to mix the two up. It can get expensive, so I like to add a few new pieces each year, that will hopefully last me awhile.

6. A Teacher Plan book

via C. Jayne Teach

Whether you use a simple Wal-Mart binder or a gorgeous C. Jayne Teach Teacher Anchor, it is so important to keep your lessons and units organized.

7. Snacks

via Amazon

I always find that I am so busy during the day (even at lunchtime) that too often, eating gets pushed to the side. Keep some healthy snacks handy for those late days working at your desk. Or keep some chocolate covered almonds handy for your sweet tooth!


8. A Water Bottle

via SIGG

Going hand in hand with eating, I also find that I often don't make the effort to drink enough water during the day. Don't get me wrong, I love water and usually drink gallons of it at home, but when you're at school and everything is go-go-go, I sometimes forget to hydrate.

I usually bring a SIGG bottle with me because I find them almost completely leak-proof, but I've seen some cute glass ones lately that I may need to try.

via bkr
9. New Books

Don't teach the same things over and over again; it's boring for you and boring for the students. The easiest way to switch up your routine is to grab some new books for your classroom. One I still need to pick up? The latest pigeon book!

via Amazon


10. A Positive Attitude

There will be tough days, but always keep a positive attitude - for yourself and your students. Remember: you are a teacher, you are making a difference, and you are doing a great job!

What are your teacher essentials? Let me know in the comments below!


No comments:

Post a Comment