Thursday 17 October 2013

Happy Fish & Crayons That Quit

Can you believe that it is almost Friday? This week sure went by fast. The weather has been great here, in that nice autumn spot between the hot sun of summer and super rainy fall, but we'll see how long this lasts.

I wanted to stop by and talk about two new books I've found recently. I can never resist talking about books and I love finding new ones.

First up, Happy by Mies Van Hout. I am a sucker for amazing illustrations and this book fits that. The illustrations show different fish portraying various emotions.


Happy is perfect for teaching kids about emotions and would make for a fantastic art lesson (bright pastels on black paper would be so striking).

Next up, The Day the Crayons Quit by Drew Daywalt. When I first saw this book I thought it looked familiar and I quickly realized that Oliver Jeffers illustrated it.


This books consists of letters from the various crayons explaining why they quit. There are so many options for this book. It would be fantastic for a colour unit, to introduce letter writing or to start a discussion about using out of the box colours in artwork.This book is just plain cute!


No comments:

Post a Comment